Sulfa antibiotic; combination of two different antibiotics. Used to treat and prevent PCP pneumonia.
Double and single strength tablets
One double strength tablet daily (dosage may be higher when treating acute infection)
- Can be taken with or without food.
- Notify your doctor of all medications being taken prior to starting Bactrim.
- Keep follow-up appointments to monitor blood work for side effects.
Side Effects To Report To Your Doctor:
- Red, itchy rash
- nausea / vomiting
- Low neutrophil count (neutropenia)
- Low platelet count (thrombocytopenia)
- Peeling or sloughing of skin
For more information on Bactrim try About.com's Drug Finder