Luckily, drug insurance companies, the government, and even drug manufacturers stepped forward to ease the financial burden. This feature is to provide you with contact information for various patient assistance programs that will help fund your medication regimen.
HIV Co-pay ProgramsFor those who are fortunate to have private drug insurance, co-pays often are enough to break the bank. For example, say your drug coverage pays for only 80% of the retail cost of your HIV regimen. That leaves you with the remaining 20%. It doesn't sound like much until you consider the cost of some of the HIV drugs we prescribe. It is not unusual for each drug in a regimen to cost $1,000 or more per month. So in a 3-drug regimen, you are talking 20% of $3,000 each month, which is $600. For many people, that could spell financial disaster.
However, there are co-pay assistance programs to ease the burden. For instance, the state of Michigan has co-pay assistance as part of the HIV/AIDS Drug Assistance Program. For states that don't, and for people who have high co-pays through their commercial insurance, here is a list of co-pay assistance programs, along with contact information.
Abbott - Positive Partner PLUS Card
- Covers Kaletra and 2 other HIV medications when part of a regimen
- No income or co-pay eligibility criteria
- Provides $50/month for Kaletra and $50/month for each of two other HIV meds in the same regimen
Boehringer Ingelheim - Viramune Co-pay Savings Card
- Payment in the form of a MasterCard debit card
- Pays up to $50 of co-pay for Viramune each month for 12 months
- Debit card honored at traditional and mail-order pharmacies
- Covers Reyataz and Sustiva
- Benefit up to $200/month
Bristol-Meyers Squibb / Gilead Sciences - Atripla Co-pay Assistance Program
- Covers high co-pays
- Patient responsible for first $50 and any amount over $250
Gilead Sciences - Truvada Co-pay Assistance Program
Merck & Co. - Isentress Patient Savings Coupon Program
- Covers Isentress only
- Covers co-pays from $30 to $400/month
Tibotec - Tibotec Therapeutics Patient Savings ProgramTibotec Patient Assistance
ViiV Healthcare - MySupportCard
- Covers Combivir, Epivir, Epzicom, Lexiva, Rescriptor, Retrovir, Selzentry, Trizivir, Viracept, and Ziagen
- No income criteria
- Covers co-pays up to a maximum of $100/prescription
Berry, J.; "Pick a Card; Pick a Plan"; Positively Aware; March/April 2010.