Cholesterol Lowering Drug
- 10mg, 20mg, and 40mg tablets
- Typically prescribed at 10mg to 40mg once each day.
- Dose is once per day with or without food.
Side Effects to Report to Your Doctor:
- muscle pain (sign of muscle breakdown)
Drug Interactions or Incompatibility:
- Muscle breakdown is increased when drug is given together with other medications such as cyclosporine (Sandimmune), Lopid (gemfibrozil), Erythromycin and Niacin (nicotinic acid).
- Lipitor should be used cautiously with alcohol and in people with liver disease.
For More Information:
For more information about Lipitor (atorvastatin) try About.com's Drug Finder.
More medication fact sheets are available here at the HIV web site of About.com.