Who Should be Tested?
High Infection Risk - Should Be Tested
- Injecting drug users
- Recipients of clotting factors made before 1987
Intermediate Infection Risk - Should Be Tested
- Hemodialysis patients
- Recipients of blood and/or solid organs before 1992
- People with undiagnosed liver problems
- Infants born to infected mothers (after 12-18 months old)
Low Infection Risk - Test Only if Person Desires
- Healthcare/public safety workers (only after an exposure)
- People having sex with multiple partners
- People having sex with an infected steady partner
Keep in mind that anyone who desires to be tested should be tested. Ask your doctor or talk to your local health department to get your Hepatitis C test.
Updated May 10, 2006