Symptoms and Prevention of HIV & AIDS
Safer Sex and Prevention
The key to putting a halt to the HIV epidemic is prevention. The HIV/AIDS site at About.com provides a comprehensive collection of safer sex and HIV prevention resources. The first step in controlling HIV is to prevent new infections and safer sex is key. This group of resources provides you with the tools to take that first step toward safer sex and HIV prevention.
- Quick HIV Prevention Facts
- Safer Sex When Romance Blooms
- The Basics of HIV Prevention
- Preventing Vertical Transmission
- Risk Reduction vs. Abstinence: Which Works?
- HIV Prevention Techniques
- Oral Sex - Is it a Safe Alternative to Intercourse?
- Performing Safer Oral Sex
- Which Behaviors Have the Highest HIV Risk?
- HIV/AIDS Prevention FAQ
- Decreasing the HIV Risk of Injecting Drugs
- "We Are Both Positive - Do We Need a Condom?"
- Reaching the Unreachable - Online HIV Prevention
- Choosing the Right Condom for You and Your Partner
- Using Condoms the Right Way - Effective & Fun
- Safer Sex for Teens
- Consider this Before Having Unprotected Sex
Testing and Diagnosis
HIV Testing is the first step to take when trying to find out if you have HIV. Never rely on symptoms of HIV to decide if you are infected. HIV testing is the only way to know for sure. The importance of early diagnosis of HIV can't be overstated. Decades of HIV and AIDS research has proven that the earlier HIV is diagnosed, the better the prognosis and the likelihood of a long, healthy life. So how are HIV and AIDS diagnosed?
- HIV Testing - Frequently Asked Questions
- The Method of Diagnosing HIV
- Where Can I Get an HIV Test?
- 5 Reasons to Get an HIV Test
- Understanding HIV Testing
- Should We All Get an HIV Test?
- My Test Results Were Negative for HIV-2 but Positive for HIV-1 - I'm Confused
- Not All Tests are Created Equal
- Signs You May Need HIV Tested
- The Facts About Rapid HIV Tests
- Understanding HIV Testing and Other Bloodwork
- Your HIV Testing Options
- What is an HIV Rapid Test?
- The Science Behind HIV Testing
The Biology of HIV
HIV is a very complex disease that impacts our body in many different ways. Understanding how HIV works and what it does to our body will help you better understand the disease. Understanding HIV can allow you to take control of the illness and live a healthy, productive life. These resources will explain the biology of HIV.
- The Most Basic Question - What is HIV?
- The History and Timeline of the HIV
- Understand Your Immune System
- How Does The Immune System React to HIV
- Understanding the HIV Life Cycle
- The HIV Life Cycle in Pictures
- The HIV Life Cycle from Start to Finish
- Do I Have HIV?
- What Does HIV Do To Your Body
- What are CD4 Cells and Why are they Important?
- What is the Significance of CD4 Percentage?
- What is Your Viral Load and Why is it Important?
- Is HIV & AIDS the Same Thing?
- HIV Tropism - How It's Used to Choose Your Regimen
HIV Symptoms and Associated Illnesses
HIV symptoms, if they occur can be uncomfortable, inconvenient, and can make you sick. While HIV symptoms may not occur initially, most people at some point in time will experience some HIV symptoms or associated illnesses. These resources will help identify and deal with the symptoms of HIV.
- What Are the Symptoms of HIV?
- Recognizing Acute HIV Infection
- Dealing with Depression
- Ten Common HIV Symptoms
- HIV Signs, Symptoms and Solutions
- Dealing With Diarrhea
- Dealing with an HIV Rash
- Pain, Numbness and Tingling - Another Symptom Associated with HIV
- The Symptoms I am Having - Are the HIV?
- Cool Down Your Night Sweats
- Lactic Acidosis - A Very Serious Problem
- When HIV Symptoms Require a Trip to the Emergency Room
- Sinus Infections and HIV
- Are You Having Shingles Symptoms?
HIV impacts the body's ability to protect itself from illness and infection. When these infections strike, you need comprehensive information to guide you. This collection of resources provides the information you need to recognize opportunistic infections and to take steps to resolve them before your health suffers.
- Opportunistic Infection Fact Sheets
- Opportunistic Infections - Index
- Opportunistic Infections - Fungal Infections
- Opportunistic Infections - Bacterial Infections
- Opportunistic Infections - Viral Infections
- Opportunistic Infections - Parasitic Infections
- Opportunistic Infections - Pneumonias
- Deadly Brain Infection - PML
- A Complete Guide to PCP
- What are the AIDS Defining Opportunistic Infections
Data & Statistics
The numbers are sobering at times. But the statistics we collect help us better understand the epidemic and take steps to halt its spread. Track the epidemic around the world -- and in your own backyard -- with this collection of current HIV and AIDS statistics.
- HIV/AIDS Statistics - Index
- HIV Facts and Statistics
- TB & HIV Stats
- HIV/AIDS Stats According to Exposure Route
- HIV Quick Facts