Antiviral medication used to treat herpes outbreaks.
- 200mg, 400mg, and 500mg capsules
- a topical cream
- 800mg five times per day (doses vary according to type of herpes infection or in the presence of renal disease) or
- ointment applied to areas of herpes 6 times per day.
- Can be taken with or without food.
- Notify your doctor of all medications being taken prior to starting Zovirax.
- Keep all follow-up appointments to monitor liver function blood work.
Side Efects to Report to Your Doctor:
- nausea / vomiting
- elevated liver enzymes
- burning, pain, or itching at application site (ointment)
Drug Interactions and Incompatibility:
- Do not take with the drug Probenecid
For more information:
For more information on Acyclovir try About.com's Drug Finder
More drug fact sheets