"My doctor tells me it is time to start HIV medications. What regimen will I be put on first?"
There are many variables that impact what drug regimen your doctor will choose for you first. Factors that affect that choice include:
- have you been on meds before
- do you have any resistance to medications
- what is your current CD4 and viral load counts
- are you able to take meds several times each day or do you need a once per day regimen
- are you pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- what other illnesses and conditions do you have?
These are just a few of the factors that impact your doctor's choice. The US Department of Health and Human Services do have recommendations for first-line regimens. They include:
Remember, these are only recommendations. Your doctor along with your input will choose a regimen that is right for you.
Source: US Department of Health and Human Services' HIV Treatment Guidelines, 2005.