1. Health

Man Sentenced to 45 Years in Prison For Infecting Women with HIV

By May 31, 2009

His own defense attorney described him as a "modern day casanova". His jury of peers saw him as a danger to society. Now Philippe Padieu will spend what will most likely be the remainder of his life in jail. Padieu will be about 98 when his 45 year sentence comes to an end, punishment for being found guilty of assault with a deadly weapon; the deadly weapon being his HIV infected bodily fluids. Mr. Padieu was convicted because he knowingly infected 6 women with HIV without having disclosed his HIV positive status. Diagnosed in 2005, he continued to have unprotected sex; infecting 6 women who had sex with him; intercourse as well as oral. One victim set the tone for the entire trial when she commented "I would rather have cancer than AIDS, because with cancer, at least you can tell people you have it."

Related Information

Was this Verdict and Sentence the Right One?

So what do you think? A man infects 6 women with HIV...should he be punished? Do the women have some measure of responsibility as well? What do you think....I would love to hear your comments.
Comments
June 3, 2009 at 10:14 am
(1) mama says:

Yes this person should get the term in prison because he knowingly infected these ladies with HIV.Also they should have been using protection. Please everyone if you are going to have sex protect yourself.

June 7, 2009 at 7:45 pm
(2) Michael says:

If the women infected, did nothing to protect themselves, then I don’t believe he should be sentenced. It like a woman having unprotected sex with a man and ending up pregnant, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out why. Now if it was forced sex, that’s a different story.

June 8, 2009 at 2:36 am
(3) Mohammed says:

Yes, I do believe its a good enough punishment, knowing that he has HIV and still engages to effect these women is horrible. But at the same time I do believe that women should think twice before they go ahead with unprotected sex. It is a person’s responsibility to protect himself/herself from harms way.

June 8, 2009 at 12:07 pm
(4) Discovery says:

While each person has the responsibility of protecting themselves, when persons become comfortable in a relationship they deem promising they are less careful. He should be punished because he knowingly infected unsuspecting women.

June 9, 2009 at 12:44 pm
(5) namsi says:

probably the man deserves to be charged..but the women too should have been responsible! that’s why we have safe sex! using rubbers(condoms) and all that!even to the wo/man you love you still need to play safe.

June 10, 2009 at 7:37 am
(6) Miljan says:

I’m not sure about the sentence…
As somebody above said – if he forced them to unproteced sex, it would be a clear case, but it wasn’t, obviously. If he openly told them he was HIV neg, while being positive, it would be a clearer case, too… but this way… well, it is NOT ok to infect somebody on purpose, and it’s ok that he got sentenced (though a bit too much, I’ve heard of murder cases with lesser punishments) but I wouldn’t classify it as an assault with a deadly weapon, and the women HAVE to have some of the responsibility, too. But in the world we live in, people like to turn their backs on their own responsibility a lot.

June 10, 2009 at 2:34 pm
(7) irene powers says:

woman need to stop playing the vistim role and protect their damn selves! This virus is over 25 years old and woman who go around having unprotected sex have either been under a rock or stupid.
For the woman who said she would rather have cancer than AIDS because you could tell someone you have Cancer is in a word IGNORANT!

June 10, 2009 at 4:06 pm
(8) Wendy says:

Do I think they share responsibility in protecting themselves in a sexual relationship? Absolutely. But, I also think he had primary responsibility, knowing he was infected, knowing that there is no cure, knowing that these women were unaware, to give a damn about others he had sex with. That said, I also think 45 years is too harsh of a sentence. But, a charge or reckless disregard for the safety of others wouldn’t bother me too much. Yet – no one criminalizes gay men who “share” this infection with other men; so there may be some gender bias involved in the charges as well as a definite discriminatory imbalance in how the charges are applied.

June 11, 2009 at 3:09 am
(9) TIna says:

I think this person should get strong punishment, because knowingely he has spoile life of six women. also everone should protect yourself by using condoms
Protect yourself by having “Safer sex”

June 11, 2009 at 5:26 am
(10) mimi says:

Lets all learn to protect ourselves in case of casual sex. Hiv fears no one!

June 14, 2009 at 4:01 pm
(11) melissa says:

Philippe intentionally had unprotected sex with all six women. Although all the women should have had enough sense to NOT have unprotected sex, Philippe was still wrong for conducting himself as he did.

June 16, 2009 at 10:34 am
(12) Noelle says:

I think it is very selfish for a man to devistate 6 women. i also think that maybe the women did not care and were “in the mood”, or they just did not know. I have a few questions… i enterd my email in the slot.. if you woud please answer my questions…. i would be very happy… I am doing all this research, and i find the same stuff… but i need to know something different…. please email me so i cant ask you my question.. thank you

June 17, 2009 at 9:38 am
(13) Lil Bobby V says:

I don’t know if 45 years is justice. HIV is no longer a deadly disease. People are living with HIV and AIDS and living long. Some even die of old age. The cost of maintaining good health with the disease is the issue. HIV meds cost $1200 – $1500 per month for many of these people. I think the 45 year sentence was given because so m any are still ignorant of the disease. EVERYONE is responsible for protecting themselves from STIs (sexually transmitted infections). While it is law in most states (?) that HIV infected people have to disclose their status to sexual partners, I find 45 years a long time and expect that at some time in the future, the sentence will eventually be reduced. Also, realize that the cost of this inmate’s healthcare will be upon the taxpayers for the duration of his life.

June 17, 2009 at 1:32 pm
(14) Hugh Paxton says:

I think this man hates women, perhaps blames the entire sex for his own predicament. Knowingly infecting women is an aggressive and pre-planned act, morally and ethically repugnant, and the repetitive nature of his behaviour confirms him as a threat to other people. I have no sympathy for him. For the women, yes. He knew what he was doing. They didn’t.

June 18, 2009 at 12:12 pm
(15) mazy says:

I have reviewed other cases and it seems sometimes, that it can be very difficult to prove. However, everyone is responsible for their own well-being. It is surprising to know the number of people out there, who still have unprotected sex.

July 19, 2009 at 8:21 am
(16) justice says:

I happen to find his acts very distasteful and downright wrong. As a HIV positive young woman myself, I’m dealing with the question of, did my fiance knowingly infect me.

No one should have to endure this pain. No one has the right to impose a possible death sentence upon others. Yeah, mistakes happen but to knowingly infect another person is horrible. He got what he deserved.

January 19, 2010 at 7:38 pm
(17) sign of the times says:

This could happen anyone. Even if you protect yourself, at some point the relationship your suppose to be able to trust your partner.

I work in the medical field I know someone who’s HIV positive and she let men know it when they ask to date her. One guy she dated had a girlfriend and know that this woman was HIV positive, but still had unprotected sex.

Before I got married I made my husband get tested and show me the results, but that couldn’t protect me if he decided to cheat during the marriage and contracted HIV.

So, should protection be used even in marriage also?

November 16, 2010 at 12:49 am
(18) deb says:

YES, people need to protect themselves when their dating and even after marriage…. the highest rates of hiv/aids is among housewives… do not trust anyone…. always make the man or woman get tested for aids before having any sexual contact with them including oral sex…. people lie… also, be careful when you go to the dentist…. make sure the always wear gloves…. dont let anyone touch you no matter what… i stopped going to the dentist years ago, and basically any doctor… i wont let anyone touch me… when im married i WILL use condoms…. if my husband divorces me then he wasnt the right guy for me…. so who cares… life is to short and to make it even shorter by getting aids is a nightmare, not to mention with or without medicine you will be sick alot…. good luck and dont let anyone talk you into anything…. be strong and demand a man wear protection or else run for your lives…. bye